Lake Erie and Northern Railway
"The first steam-operating railroad museum in the U.S.A."

Website owned and operated by the:
Rail City Historical Museum
162 Stanley Drive
Sandy Creek, NY 13145
Robert J Groman, Owner/Curator

The Lake Erie and Northern Railway and the Grand River Railway were associated
electric lines operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway under a 99 year lease. The
combined line of the two legally separate electric subsidiaries of the CPR operated from
Port Dover on Lake Erie to Kitchener over 69 miles of track in the Province of southern
Ontario, Canada. Passenger electric service existed for almost 40 years and ceased on
April 24, 1955 when the CPR applied for and received official sanction for the termination of
passenger service.

When passenger services ended in 1955, LE&N car #797 was donated to the Syracuse
Chapter (later to be renamed the Central New York Chapter) of the National Railway Historical
Society. The car was built in 1915 by Preston Car and Coach Company in Preston, Ontario. It
was propelled by four 85 horsepower and could be operated from either end. This acquisition
was the Syracuse Chapter's first piece of rolling stock and the effort preserved the only
remaining electrified car from the LE&N. The CPR's negotiations to sell the cars from this
rail line failed and the entire fleet, except for #797, was scrapped.
On October 23, 1955, the Syracuse Chapter of the NRHS and the Canadian Pacific Railway
Company hosted a dedication ceremony at Rail City Museum, the home of the newly acquired
car. About 200 rail enthusiasts attended the ceremony to hear George H. Baillie, vice
president, Eastern Region, Canadian Pacific Railway commend the Syracuse Chapter and Rail
City Museum for their efforts to "preserve for future those phases of rail transportation such as
the electric interurban and the steam locomotive, which are so rapidly replaced by buses and
diesel engines."
The "Wild Burros" imported from New Mexico appear little amused by the arrival of L&EN car #797 to Rail City
Museum. The car moved on its own wheels to Lacona, NY and was trucked the remaining five miles to Rail
City. The LE&N car remained in this location for the October 23, 1955 dedication ceremony. Later that same
year it was placed on the main rail line at Rail City and moved to a more central location within the museum.
[Photo by Stanley Groman, RCHM Collection]

Other guest speakers at the dedication ceremony included: William D. Thompson, general
manager of the LE&N, W.C. Woods, mayor of Preston, Ontario, John E. Johnson,
assemblyman from LeRoy, James L. Walker, mayor of Pulaski, NY, and Stanley A. Groman,
MD, founder of Rail City Museum. Also attending the ceremony were representatives of the
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Delaware and Lackawanna Railroad and the New York Central