The Rail City Historical Museum is a museum of a museum. It houses a static display of
thousands of steam-era railroad photographs and memorabilia from a multitude of railroads as
well as the complete history of Rail City Museum during its construction and operation from
1952 to 1974. The museum is located in the former New York Central Railroad station from
Deer River, NY. Built in 1873, it was one of many original railroad structures dismantled and
reconstructed by Dr. Groman at the site of Rail City Museum. After 21 years of neglect
following the closing of Rail City Museum in 1974, the former Deer River Station was
renovated in 1995 and re-opened as the Rail City Historical Museum in 1997.

For three years (1997, 1998 & 1999) the Rail City Historical Museum had routine hours of
operation from Memorial Day to mid-October of each year. However, the museum is currently
open by appointment only from Memorial Day to September 30th. To make an appointment
email us at
The museum is located approximately 50 miles
north of Syracuse, NY and 30 miles south of
Watertown, NY. Take Interstate Route 81 to exit
37 (Sandy Creek). Drive west to Main Street
(Route 11), north on Ellisburg Road, west on
Hadley Road and north on Rt. 3. The museum is
3/4 mile on the left side (south side) of Rt. 3. We
can also be reached by mail:

Rail City Hitorical Museum
162 Stanley Drive
Sandy Creek, NY 13145